In this uncertain time MLC Life Insurance understands that our customers and communities require clear information about our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and their life insurance policies.
We’re carefully monitoring the fast-evolving situation and have activated our pandemic risk management plan. This ensures key customer services, including the assessment and payment of claims, can continue to be delivered while our customers, partners and people continue to be cared for.
I have lost my job or require financial support
I’m in financial hardship because of COVID-19. What can MLC Life Insurance do to assist me?
- MLC Life Insurance has existing financial hardship provisions to support customers and this will be extended to those impacted by COVID-19 and who are concerned about their ability to pay their life insurance premiums.
- If you are concerned about your ability to make life insurance premium payments, please contact MLC Life Insurance so that we can discuss what support can be provided during this time. Options are applied on a case by case basis in discussion between customers and our Education and Loyalty team.
What else can MLC Life Insurance do to help me?
Customers can still access Best Doctors for themselves and their immediate family – they don’t need to be on claim to access the service. While Best Doctors doesn’t provide treatment or replace your primary treater, it can provide virtual support to people looking for guidance and clarity on an injury, illness or condition. This includes mental health support. Visit www.mlcinsurance.com.au/bestdoctors for more information.
Where else can I go to access financial help
More information on the various financial assistance packages announced from the Australian Government can be found here, including access to centrelink payments if eligible.
I am looking for information about COVID-19 and my policy
Are there any exclusions on my policy for COVID-19?
There are no specific exclusions for COVID-19 in any of our policies.
Am I covered in the event of death from COVID-19?
Because there are no exclusions for COVID-19, if your policy covers you for death we’ll assess a claim according to the terms of the relevant policy.
Am I covered for TPD, critical illness or income protection insurance?
- There are no specific exclusions for COVID-19 in any of our policies that would affect the way we assess claims.
- If your policy covers you for Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD), Critical Illness and/or Income Protection and you believe that you may meet the criteria for a claim we encourage you to get in touch with us.
- Business Expenses - there are no exclusions for COVID-19 that affects the way we assess a claim
Does my policy cover me if I travel overseas and contract coronavirus?
- MLC Life Insurance policies cover you 24 hours a day, in Australia and overseas.
- We encourage all our customers to check the Australian Government travel sites and recommendations regarding overseas travel.
I want to make a claim on my policy relating to COVID-19. Can my claim be fast-tracked?
We’ll continue to assess claims in accordance with the policy terms and our normal business processes, and any claims relating to COVID-19 are no different. As always, we’ll process claims as quickly as possible and keep you informed of the progress of your claim.
What types of cover can I claim / not claim on if I contract COVID-19?
- For Income Protection and TPD claims, there are no specific exclusions for COVID-19 that would affect the way we assess your claim.
- Critical Illness – Although COVID-19 is not a specified critical condition, customers who contract the virus may suffer severe complications which may meet the definitions for a Critical Illness under our policies.
- As a reminder, only an insured customer who is unable to work because of illness or injury can make a claim on their policy.
- Customers must still meet all the existing terms and conditions on their policy, which still apply (such as waiting periods), to make a claim.
- Business Expenses - there are no exclusions for COVID-19 that affects the way we assess a claim
Can I make a claim for Income Protection relating to COVID-19 for having to be away from work because of self-isolation, even though I haven’t been diagnosed with this illness?
- No - to make a claim for Income Protection you need to show that you can’t work (in accordance with the policy definition) because of sickness or injury.
- We encourage customers to check the terms and conditions of their policy document regarding the cover they have with MLC Life Insurance and when and how you can claim.
I think I’ve received a suspicious email relating to COVID-19. What should I do?
- It’s important to be aware of numerous online security scams that are targeting people at this vulnerable time. High-profile events like the Coronavirus pandemic are almost inevitably exploited by cyber criminals to spread malicious files, conduct email and phone scams, and often play on justified concerns.
- If you’ve received one of these messages and you've clicked on the link, or you're concerned your personal details have been compromised, contact your financial institution immediately.
- If you have any questions you can contact Scamwatch, which has a dedicated page on the coronavirus - https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/news/covid-19-coronavirus-scams - or Stay Smart Online for more information on ways you can protect yourself.
- Visit our Security page for more information.
Can I still access the Best Doctors service?
Yes, customers can still access Best Doctors for themselves and immediate family – you don’t need to be on claim to access the service. While Best Doctors doesn’t provide treatment or replace your primary treater, it can provide virtual support to people looking for guidance and clarity on an injury, illness or condition. This includes mental health support. Visit www.mlcinsurance.com.au/bestdoctors for more information.
Best Doctors services are delivered remotely which means that you can be connected with their network of medical specialists from the comfort of your own home.
I am a new customer
Will newly insured customers be treated any differently under your policies?
- There are no additional exclusions on new customers insured under the terms of our policies due to COVID-19.
- For customers who undergo underwriting, we’re following current market practice and will postpone consideration of applications from any permanent resident returning to Australia for 30 days from their return date or until they’ve obtained clearance from a medical practitioner. This is subject to change at any time depending on the circumstances in the country(ies) where the applicant has travelled.
I’m a new customer to MLC Life Insurance and I have COVID-19. Can I get cover?
- If you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19 / Coronavirus and have been advised to self-isolate, you won’t be given cover until medically cleared.
- If you’ve been treated, discharged from hospital and/or given a medical all-clear, all standard benefits for the relevant policy will apply.
I haven’t been diagnosed with COVID-19 but have been in contact with someone diagnosed with it. Can I get cover?
New customers (who are not healthcare workers) will not receive cover if they have been in contact with:
- someone diagnosed with COVID-19 / coronavirus
- in contact with someone in quarantine
- in contact with someone who has been in self-isolation.
We’ll ask additional questions during the underwriting process to determine if these circumstances apply to you.
What is different in how underwriting is done at MLC Life Insurance due to COVID-19?
- From 16 March 2020, customers who apply via our digital underwriting tool, either online or by tele-underwriting, will be asked additional questions as part of the personal statement.
- Customers who apply on paper will need to answer additional questions by telephone or email before cover can be assessed.
I am a health worker
I’m a healthcare worker with MLC Life Insurance cover already in place. Am I covered for COVID-19?
There are no specific exclusions for COVID-19 in any of our policies that would affect the way we assess claims. All healthcare workers are covered, just like our other customers.
How is MLC Life Insurance supporting healthcare workers?
MLC Life Insurance supports and is part of the Financial Services Council’s COVID-19 Commitment to Frontline Healthcare Workers. The Commitment ensures that for healthcare workers, exposure or potential exposure to coronavirus will not of itself be used to:
- decline an application for cover, or
- charge a higher premium, or
- apply a COVID-19 pandemic risk exclusion to any of the benefits offered.
The Commitment is subject to conditions and financial limits. More information can found here.
I’m a healthcare worker. How can I purchase life insurance coverage and take advantage of the Commitment to Frontline Healthcare Workers?
Life insurance is obtained via a financial adviser. The adviser will help you determine your insurance needs and support you through the application process. You will usually need to go through underwriting, which is where we find out information relevant to you and your application. It is at this point that the Commitment to Frontline Healthcare Workers applies, guaranteeing you will not be prevented from obtaining life insurance cover through exposure, or potential exposure, to coronavirus.
Assistance in finding a financial adviser in your local area can be found at www.yourbestinterests.com.au.
I’m a healthcare worker who already has life insurance, but I want to increase my cover. How does the Commitment to Frontline Healthcare Workers apply to me?
The Commitment applies to the total amounts of cover you have, including both the cover being applied for and any existing individual and group insurance cover you have. More information on the limits can be found here.
If you decide you want to go ahead with an increase to your cover, contact your financial adviser.