Delivering on our claims process
We’re always here for our customers at claim time and recognise that every customer has a genuine need. Our team of claims assessors and support staff have the right skills to support each client with integrity, fairness and compassion.
We strive to make the right decisions in a timely, consistent, professional and empathetic manner.
Our Case Consultants are encouraged and empowered to tailor their assessment approach to the needs of the customer.
Our Contemporary Claims Management Model
Our contemporary claims management model, and the team that uses it, is designed to put the customer first. Here are some of the key features of our model which emphasise the most important values in our claims philosophy:
- Cross-functional claims teams – Our claims teams are set-up to ensure better and faster customer outcomes with claims consultants, lead consultants and recovery specialists (rehabilitation consultants) to ensure each team has the capability to holistically manage claims.
- End-to-end claims model – We support our customers with a focus on early intervention, functional capacity, holistic case management, return-to-work and ongoing support processes.
- Customer conversations - We focus on conversations with customers (telephone calls particularly) to understand them as individuals as best as possible; we minimise use of claims forms whenever reasonable to do so.
- Case conferencing - Our case consultants and internal specialists regularly confer to provide evidence-based management solutions for each customer.
- Long duration claims – We’ve created a specialist claims team to provide support for customers with claims that are longer in duration.
- ClaimVantage – We’ve implemented an industry leading cloud-based claim management system, ClaimVantage. It delivers a single, streamlined view of the customer and their claim to provide our customers with an easier, faster experience.
In 2019, MLC Life Insurance paid more than $1.3 billion in claims to support our customers and their families.
Number of customers who had a claim paid
Claims paid by policy type
Top 5 claim causes
Life Insurance Code of Practice
As a signatory to the Life Insurance Code of Practice, MLC Life Insurance is bound by the obligations of the Code. Read More.
As a life insurer, we’re required to hold extra capital to ensure we’re well equipped to pay claims now and in the future. Further, APRA Prudential Statement LPS110 Capital Adequacy requires life insurers to publish, at least annually, their capital adequacy position. To find out about our capital adequacy position, please read or download our Capital Adequacy Disclosure document.