Being diagnosed with a Critical Condition impacts both you and your family. Critical Illness insurance can help take away the worry of having to cover your day-to-day expenses while you undergo treatment or recover from surgery.
What is Critical Illness insurance?
Critical Illness insurance (also known as trauma cover) gives you a one-off payment if you suffer one of the specified Critical Conditions we cover.
There are two types of Critical Illness insurance available:
- Critical Illness Standard: Provides benefits for the most common Critical Conditions with fewer additional options, at a lower cost.
- Critical Illness Plus: Provides benefits for an extensive range of Critical Conditions and additional options.
With Critical Illness insurance you also have access to Vivo at no additional cost. Vivo is a holistic health, wellness and recovery program which includes access to a service called Expert Medical Opinion. Available online and at any time, this service and can connect you with a global network of medical professionals for a second opinion on a medical diagnosis and treatment plan.
Critical Illness Standard:
- A one-off payment if you suffer a Critical Condition.
- Cover for the most common Critical Conditions.
- If we have paid a one-off payment of $100,000 or more, we’ll reimburse up to $5,000 for the cost of a financial plan from a qualified financial adviser.
With Critical Illness Plus you also receive:
- Cover for an extensive range of Critical Conditions in addition to the common Critical Conditions.
- Child Support Benefit – $10,000 benefit the first time your child has a Critical Condition or if your child dies, available with cover of $100,000 or more.
- Option to apply for additional cover when certain events occur without the need to provide further medical evidence.
- A death benefit of $5,000 should you die within 14 days of suffering a Critical Condition and don’t qualify for the full cover amount (Critical Illness stand-alone only).
How does it work?
You can apply for Critical Illness insurance to suit your needs, with cover available up to $2 million.
We offer two different types of Critical Illness insurance, depending on your needs:
- Critical Illness Standard – provides cover for five of the most common Critical Conditions, with a few additional options.
- Critical Illness Plus – provides cover for over 40 Critical Conditions, as well as additional optional benefits.
You can choose Critical Illness insurance as a stand-alone policy or as an extension to Life Cover insurance.
We calculate your stepped premiums on each Review Date based on your age and the applicable premium rate at that time. Stepped premiums will usually increase each year as you get older, and also if you increase your sum insured or because of Inflation Proofing increases (if applicable).
Critical Illness insurance is only available to purchase outside super.
You can apply for these options at an additional cost:
- 12-month Life Cover Buy Back (when you purchase Critical Illness as an extension to Life Cover): 12 months after we receive your valid Critical Illness insurance claim form, you can ask us to restore your Life Cover by the same amount as the benefit paid.
- Business Safeguard Option: under certain circumstances you can apply to increase your Critical Illness insurance for certain business purposes without further medical evidence.
The following are available as additional options with Critical Illness Plus only:
- Double Critical Illness (Life Cover Buy Back with Premium Waiver): we’ll automatically restore your Life Cover, up to the same amount as the Critical Illness insurance benefit paid, if you live for 14 days after you receive your Critical Illness insurance benefit.
- Critical Illness Buy Back: 12 months after we've paid your Critical Illness insurance benefit, you can ask us to restore your Critical Illness insurance by the same amount as the benefit paid.
- Extra benefits option – partial benefits: you'll receive a partial benefit if you suffer from one of the additional Critical Conditions listed in the Product Disclosure Statement.
Critical Conditions covered
Critical Conditions Critical Illness Standard Critical Illness Plus Exclusion Period Aorta Repair - excluding less invasive surgeries 3 months Aplastic Anaemia - of specified severity Bacterial Meningitis - of specified severity Benign Brain Tumour - of specified severity Blindness - of specified severity Cancer - excluding specified early-stage cancer
Standard: 6 months
Plus: 3 months
Cardiomyopathy - of specified severity Chronic Kidney Failure - requiring permanent dialysis or transplantation Chronic Liver Failure - of specified severity Chronic Lung Failure - of specified severity
Coma - with specified criteria Coronary Artery Angioplasty* 3 months Coronary Artery Angioplasty – Triple Vessel
Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery - excluding less invasive procedures
3 months Deafness - permanent
Dementia or Alzheimer's Disease - permanent and of specified severity Encephalitis - of specified severity Heart Attack - with evidence of heart muscle damage 3 months Heart Valve Surgery - of specified severity 3 months HIV Contracted Through Medical Procedures HIV Contracted Through Your Work Intensive Care - requiring continuous mechanical ventilation for 7 days Loss of Independence - of specified severity Loss of Speech - total and permanent Major Brain Injury - of specified severity Major Burns - of specified severity Major Organ or Bone Marrow Transplant Meningococcal Septicaemia - of specified severity Motor Neurone Disease - unequivocal diagnosis Multiple Sclerosis - of specified severity Muscular Dystrophy - unequivocal diagnosis Open Heart Surgery Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest Parkinson's Disease - of specified severity Parkinson-Plus Syndrome - unequivocal diagnosis Paralysis - permanent and of specified severity Pneumonectomy - complete removal of entire lung Primary Pulmonary Hypertension - of specified severity Severe Diabetes - of specified severity Severe Osteoporosis - before age 50 and of specified severity Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis - of specified severity Stroke - in brain and of specified severity 3 months
*Coronary Artery Angioplasty - This benefit will only apply if your Critical Illness benefits is $100,000 or more. The benefit payable for Coronary Artery Angioplasty is 10% of your Critical Illness benefit up to $20,000 per event.
Do you need Critical Illness insurance?
You may want to consider Critical Illness insurance if you:
- have a partner, family or dependants
- have a mortgage or any other personal debt
- have a business or you’re self employed
- would need money to live if you were unable to work, or
- don’t have adequate savings to cover unexpected expenses.